Sunday, February 14, 2010

Snowmageddon Survivors

We ventured out last Friday before it got bad. We knew it would be pretty much impossible to get around once all of the snow hit the ground, so we went out to take some pictures.

We survived Snomageddon or Snowpocalypse or whatever ridiculous name you want to call it. It doesn't matter how you put it, 3+ feet of snow on the ground is just not okay. Michael and I definitely made the most of it, though. I usually get cabin fever really quickly, like, if we spend oh, I don't know, more than just a day at home! But, I actually enjoyed the time at home! From the top --

M was working the video camera while I tried to get a little artsy with the Nikon.

I made him my bokeh! Yay for me for learning new photography terms. Here are a couple other shots I got that day:

You know it's bad when they mark the fire hydrants so they know where they need to dig them out!

Friday, thankfully, I worked from home:

And, of course, baked. I made the chocolate chip cookies.

I used the recipe from the manual for the Kitchen Aid stand mixer. They were super yummy!

And, there was so much dough, I froze half of it, so we can enjoy it later.

Saturday morning, we woke up to 2 feet something on the ground. It was crazy!!! Instead of looking like everything had been dusted with sugar, it was more like someone spilled a bunch (a.k.a. too much) white icing all. over. the. place!

This was the view from our balcony. That's a school across the street.

This is what I'm talking about. These poor trees couldn't handle it!

And these are cars, not giant marshmallows. I feel sorry for the people who had to dig out their cars! They deserve archeological medals or something! Thank GOD my SUV lives in a garage!

We missed church on Sunday, but we had our own little service in the living room! We sang worship songs, and pulled up the webcast and watched it, and prayed together. It was actually a lot of fun!

Then, of course, I baked some more.

My goal was to make one loaf of sandwich bread for the week, and some pull apart garlic bread.

What I ended up with was one oddly shaped loaf of sandwich bread, and some fall apart garlic bread, but we're not going to dwell on that.

I also made some Turkey Chili for Super Bowl Sunday, even though we didn't watch the game. Just to be festive! I freestyled the chili, but it was a week ago, and now I can't remember everything I put in there, or I'd give you the recipe. Oops! Gotta get back into the swing of things.

We watched a ton of local news, it was quality entertainment!

Monday, the streets were still pretty bad, but I was able to make it to work. There was worry of ANOTHER huge winter storm! We could get 10 to 20 more inches of snow! Whaaaatttt??? My work was kind enough to book hotel rooms for several of us, so we could be sure to get to work on Wednesday.

Well, here's the deal. I don't generally take them up on the offer for a room, because I need/want to be home with Michael to help him get in and out of the bed, fix him food, help him get dressed, etc. etc. etc. He was welcome to stay at the hotel with me, but NOOOOO, Mr. Independent wanted to stay home to take care of the dogs. I was so incredibly nervous about this proposition because I am such a worry wort and I was worried that something would happen, or he wouldn't be able to get to something, or the battery in his chair would die, and who would help him? He was making a point that we needed to do this. So we would know that we can. So, reluctantly, I agreed to it. I made him like three sandwiches, poured coffee, tea, water, and orange juice into containers he could get to, set out the pet food (when I told him the small bites were for the cat and the big bites were for the dogs, he looked at me like, "Seriously??" I can get a little maternal, which I suppose is a good instinct, but isn't the best interpersonal skill when it comes to relating to your spouse, or so I'm learning) and I packed my stuff and headed for work. And you know what? EVERYTHING WAS FINE!! More than fine, I think we both enjoyed ourselves. Michael was so proud when I got home. And I was so proud of him, too. And proud of myself for letting go (for one night!).

It was actually nice to have a night to myself in a hotel, all expenses paid by my employer!

I slept in a nice, fluffy bed all by myself and got almost 8 full hours of uninterrupted sleep! It was heavenly.

I took a really, long, really hot bath/shower and used up almost all of my travel sized products. That, too, was heavenly.

I only had to worry about packing stuff for one person. I'm an OCD packer, can you tell? :)

Had horrible hotel room coffee.

Then... I looked out the window. Sigh. I trekked down to work for a few hours... then the official BLIZZARD hit! So, I got sent home. I took pictures on my crazy/scary/snowy/icy/blinding drive home. Don't worry, I think my maximum speed was like 10 mph, so it's not like I was flying down the highway snapping pictures left and right. Here's a look at my journey home Wednesday:

Aaaaahhhh. I have never been so happy to pull into a parking garage IN. MY. LIFE!

Thursday, I worked from home, and made a to.die.for Pot Roast, that of course I have no photos of :)

This morning in church, Pastor Mark said we should have t-shirts that say "I survived Snowmageddon." So true! I bet they do exist somewhere.

No comments: